Q& A new: THE COLLEGE PREPARE PROCESS A week ago, I was some guest about #CollegeCash support on Twits discussing faculty preparation the online solutions that are available for parents and young people. Since not necessarily everyone can enroll in these chats or is active on Tweet, I thought it is nice to talk about the questions and solutions here on our blog.
Question: Any time do mom and dad start the faculty prep course of action?
- Ideally make sure you start discussing with your university student about the associated with an education if they start class and amp it up on middle the school.
- 9th standard students have to pay close attention to lessons selection searching for AP elevates classes, maths and knowledge.
- 9th graders should also start looking for that ONE extracurricular exercise to concentrate on for high school.
Question: What do you observe as the parent’s role inside college prep process?
- Parents should permit the student ‘drive the car’ but go along as a passenger/guide
- Parents can assist with corporation and gentle memory joggers regarding deadlines
- Parents really need to be there regarding advice, aid and questions but have a tendency take control of the method
Question: Precisely what online gear do you suggest for comparing colleges side-by-side?
- I love Zinch because you can develop a profile, check colleges and become matched w/colleges and scholarships or school funding http://www.zinch.com
- You should use the College Board’s tool to compare colleges in the process http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp
- Some other sites will be: http://www.collegeview.com/index.jsp & http://www.collegexpress.com/ & http://www.cappex.com & http://www.collegeconfidential.com
Concern: What web based tools do not you recommend regarding test cooking?
- For vocabulary prep, @sheldonwordnerd has the GREATEST online product available http://www.word-nerd.com
- Practice tests are imperative so make the most of them on the web here http://sat.collegeboard.org/practice & http://www.number2.com/ & http://www.actstudent.org/testprep/index.html
- Read their particular blogs & follow upon Twitter: @elizabethonline @akilbello@sheldonwordnerd @preppedpolished @PWNtheSAT@staceyhowelott
Concern: What web based tools do you really recommend just for financial aid?
- The particular definitive web-site for school loans info is http://www.finaid.org/
- Certainly ALL parents should accomplish the FAFSA http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/ to qualify for educational funding
- Saving for College provides parents with all the information about financial aid http://www.savingforcollege.com/ & helps you compare financial savings plans
Issue: What online language resources do you recommend for faculty visit groundwork?
- Visit faculty websites and look for video visits and information relating to each individual higher education
- @collegevisit possesses all the methods you need to approach, organize together with prepare for faculty visits http://www.smartcollegevisit.com
- Before the stop by you can check out there @YOUniversity is the reason virtual higher education tours and perhaps hear from students http://www.youniversitytv.com/
Thought: What web based tools do not you recommend to help with the dissertation?
- @vcollegeadvisor has some great essay tips using video http://www.youtube.com/user/PreCollegeCoach#p/a/u/0/Ago6tIEnL0g
- @collegebasics gives some good recommendations on different composition topics http://www.collegebasics.com/applying-to-college/admissions-essays/
- @butwait is designed with a pocket essay editor of 13 hints https://docs.google.com/present/view?id=ah89knd3kmzc_469cq94ghdq
- In case you are looking for many actual learner essay versions of, look right here http://www.teenink.com/college_guide/college_essays/
Thought: Where would you find information concerning individual university statistics?
- I’m keen on College Navigator because on the internet view data and do a comparison of http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/
- Fantastic resource for research and more is certainly CollegeData http://www.collegedata.com/
- The College Board also offers a power tool to research college information http://collegesearch.collegeboard.com/search/index.jsp
Question: Precisely what information would you share concerning Net Price tag Calculator?
- Websites price calculators were required to help dads and moms and individuals estimate the actual cost of faculty BEFORE implementing
- Not all calculators are created equivalent; use them to be a tool although don’t expect to have 100% consistency on expense estimates
- Colleges are required to have them on their online sites but how to write an argumentative essay using two texts they are usually hard to find; maybe you have to do various digging
Dilemma: How can dads and moms be assured there’re getting SPECIALIST advice concerning college rather than just being conned?
- I submitted a blog page recently with this topic https://www.parentingforcollege.com/2011/11/07/parents-beware-its-a-jungle-out-there/
- Some tips: investigate all claims by using Google; question them applying social media; could they be associated w/other experts?
- Don’t believe claims until backed up by using facts and if it’s overly good to always be true, this usually is actually
EARLY UNIVERSITY OR COLLEGE PREPARATION PAYS OFF
I examine two content and a statement today the fact that underscored the value of starting the faculty preparation approach early:
Math throughout preschool
Is certainly 6th level the key to help ending often the dropout crisis?
The Misplaced Middle (A College Growth Report)
While I don’t advocate providing pressure students for grade college about higher education or having undue emotional stress related to university preparation, you can find things that parents can do to ensure their pupils are prepared in the event the college decision-making time jobs around. Every suggestions:
- Entice your college student to read, examine and read a strong speech that you can merely get from examining will advantage them in the course of high school and also into university or college; not to mention it can help with SAT/ACT testing as well as essay prep.
- Make sure your school’s mathmatical and scientific disciplines programs are up-to-par and this your college student participates using a strong concentration in both things these training are crucial to your student’s essential thinking skill and their achievement with demanding college resume.
- Educate your university student to set goals and comply with steps to get them in the event you start early, you are planning your scholar to be successful with high school, college and in living.
- Previous to entering senior high school, have a talk to your teen in regards to the importance of qualities and tutorial success across the next several years their own grades are more than just words on a piece of paper; they will see how colleges see them plus the amount of worthiness aid that they receive. Robust academic overall performance = entry and free college funding.
- Guide your student find his / her passion a good nonacademic activity/hobby/interest to go after, grow and even excel all through school in addition to beyond. That is fun, public and ego-building, and educational facilities want to see this particular, too. (Thanks to Wendy at POCSMomfor this supplemental tip! )
Such may be understood as simple or maybe obvious tips, but these few suggestions, in cases where followed, may put your own student on the path to college openness and even higher education success. Positive proactive being a parent can play a huge task in the faculty admissions progression.